Can flu cause night sweats and swollen lymph nodes in the neck?

Dr. Salah Saad Shoman

Posted on Mon, 27 Mar 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Does the flu cause night sweats and swollen lymph nodes in the neck? I was diagnosed with the flu 5 days ago. I am starting to feel a little better, but now have swollen lymph nodes and night sweats. Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes, flu can cause that

Detailed Answer:
Dear Ms, viral infections including the flu can cause night sweat and enlarged lymph nodes. night sweating will resolve quickly on its own when the flu subsides.. the swollen lymph nodes are self limited and will decrease in size gradually over a period of few weeks.. if the swollen lymph nodes become red or painful see a doctor as there might be a pus formation. I hope I answered your question
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T