Can flu cause black stool?

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

Posted on Mon, 19 Oct 2015 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have black stool. I have never had this before. I just was sick in bed for the last 7 days with diareah. I am pretty much done with the diareah. I guess it was the flu.
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Most often it occurs due to dietary factors.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

Let me mention that flu or influenza does not cause gastrointestinal symptoms or black stool. Most often black stool, rather blackish stool, occurs due to dietary factors like iron or certain vegetables. Usually it goes away with change in diet. Unless the stool is black tar like (pitch black and sticks to the pan), you need not worry. It is only in case of a black tarry stool that you need to get concerned since it could be due to blood in stool. In such a case you should see a doctor without delay but otherwise you need not get concerned. In any case, a stool microscopic examination can make things clear.

Hope that helped.