Can flax seed intake cause green colored stools?

Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha

Nephrologist

Posted on Tue, 19 Aug 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Does flax seed change your stool to olive green?

Is occasional sharp pain in the rectum accompanied with gas pain normal? After the bowel movement it stops.
The rectal pain happens maybe 1 or maybe twice a month. I have bled a little bit because of constipation. This scares me
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Does not change color of stools

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for the query

I have gone through several descriptions of Flax seed, it does not cause any change in color.
Here is how you go about this issue

1. Stop taking flax seed for 3 days, see if the color of your stools goes back to being normal
2. Rectal pain is probably secondary to flatulence, it is common, if the pain is very debilitating then advice you to take a pro kinetic like mosapride
3. Mild bleeding while constipated is common, I advice you to take a laxative like lactulose at night for 3 days if this happens

If symptoms dont improve then I strongly recommend that you approach a GP for a stool routine test

I hope I was of help, if you have any further queries please get back to me

I wish you good health and a speedy recovery

Follow up: Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 19 minutes later
I forgot to mention that I have the flax seed with blue berries and pear 3 times a week. Could the color be attributed to that?
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follow up

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for getting back

Blue berries when mixed with normal gastric and bile juices could lead to greenish colored stools, however to be sure I recommend that you get a stool routine. If you dont want to be investigated then I suggest that you stop eating them and see if the stools stop turning that color.

I hope I was of help

Follow up: Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 3 hours later
Thank you for your reply. I had an abdomen ultra sound, blood check for celiac, stool sample for Hplori and upper GI in Feb/March/April because of burn in my upper mid ab and reflux; test were fine. If after stopping blue berries and stool returns to normal should I get tested again, or would the tests I took be considered sufficient? Once again, your help is greatly appreciated.
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 18 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follow up

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for the reply

I am happy that your doctors have done extensive work up on you. If the stools return to normal colour after stopping blue berries and flax seeds then no further work up is required

I hope I was of help, if you have any further doubt please get back to me