Can flare-up of rashes mainly on the limbs indicate lupus despite normal blood test reports?

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

Posted on Thu, 19 Jul 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: M daughter has been diagnosed with the rash type lupus. Test was does by a biopsy. Her lab work for blood was all negative; blood levels were good. She continues to have a rash, mostly on the arms and a few on the legs. She has no other smyptons of lupus. No break outs of the rash. She can not get rid of the itching it is driving her nuts; what can she do and is there any other way to prove she has lupus. I am no doctor, but something doesn't add up. Her skin rash has no butterfly effect.
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
The symptoms need to be controlled

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on Healthcaremagic.

Although butterfly rash is a typical pattern that indicates lupus, it is not necessary that butterfly rash has to be there. It is good to know that no flare up of rashes have occurred as yet. While there's no cure for lupus, current treatments focus on improving quality of life through controlling symptoms and minimising flare-ups. This begins with lifestyle modifications, including sun protection and diet. Further disease management includes medication such as anti-inflammatories and steroids. In this case since she has itchiness, she needs to take some antiallergic medication like cetirizine. Dome steroids are also possibly needed. Things do add up.

Let me know if you need to know anything further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D