• question-icon

Can fibroids in the uterus be treated through medicines?

Posted on Mon, 17 Jul 2017 in Pregnancy
Question: My wife has issue with high bleeding during periods. this problem started about an year back.
recently consulted a gyenocologist and did a ultrasonography of abdomen and diagnosed as Fibroid problem. Fibroid size is 2.3 * 2.3 cm. scan report says, impression: uterine anteror wall myometrial fibroid causing indentation on endomterium.
Doctor asked us to do a DNC.
So my query is for a 2 nd opinion. can't this be treated with medicines? DNC is the only way?
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:
D and C advised to rule out any endometrial pathology

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,
I have gone through your question and understand the concerns.
D and C is not done for fibroid uterus and it has no role in curing the fibroid or the bleeding caused due to it.
D and C is done to rule out any pathology in the uterine lining known as endometrium, like hyperplasia, dyspasia or carcinoma as these are the major causes of excessive bleeding.
Heavy bleeding due to fibroids can be treated by tranexemic acid and other hormonal medications.
However, D and C is always advisable in this age to rule out any endometrial pathology.

Hope you found the answer helpful.
Do get back to me for further queries.
Dr Deepti Verma
OBGYN specialist

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Deepti Verma 11 hours later
Thank you Doctor for you prompt reply. D and C is a simple procedure under local anesthesia Or need hospitalization? Need bed rest after this procedure is done?
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 4 days later
Brief Answer:
D and C is a daycare procedure

Detailed Answer:
Hi again,
Sorry for the late reply. D and C is a small procedure done under local anesthesia. It can be done after hospitalization for a day or two or can be done as a day care procedure. She can return to her daily activities by 1 or 2 days.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Do get back to me for further queries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Deepti Verma

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine