Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
182 Doctors are Online

Can fever and sore throat be signs of HIV?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 3094 Questions
Hello, I have unfortunately been "suffering" from an addiction to viewing pornographic material for quite some time to deal with stress, and my addiction took a turn for the worst when I started going on craigslist to possibly seek out "pleasure" through other means. Unfortunately with this addiction, a person will even resort to acting with the same sex, and I have received only oral sex without a condom from about 4 people within this past year. My sister just had a fever and as she was getting over it, I developed it as well, and it was pretty bad, and I suppose through my paranoia, I looked up symptoms of HIV and was scared to see that a fever and sore throat were some of them. Are these really symptoms, or did I just catch my sisters fever? And should I get tested? After this scare, thankfully I will never resort to this act and am seeking out rehab. Thank You.
Posted Sun, 16 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Do HIV test, see psychologist, talk to friends, ex Detailed Answer: Hi and thanks for the query, I do understand how you could be feeling at this point in time. It is however not very rare to find persons resorting to some type of sexual activity to obtain pleasure, and deal with stress. To some, it really works, but the results are generally very short lived. The process of withdrawing from sex addiction at times requires time, personal determination, occupying one self with other activities, talking with friends and exercise, and intensifying your physical/sporting activities could help. The opinion of a clinical psychologist/psychiatrist could be helpful. Oral sex, unprotected, offers some degree of risk of HIV transmission. However, the risk is lower to that seen in unprotected heterosexual sex. Fever, especially for over three weeks and sore throat are for sure some commonly seen symptoms in an early HIV infection. It is important t note also that many persons could get infected and never really show these early signs and symptoms. This is to say, it is a valid justification to be tested, not because for the fact that you got some fever or sore throat, but because it is normal to get tested after a risky sexual act like unprotected oral sex. I think you should get tested. You might need the opinion of a psychologist or a psychiatrist. Exercise, talking to trusted ones and elders could help. I do think its an excellent decision you just took to disengage from this acts. thanks and kind regards. Please, do feel free asking any follow up questions in case of need. I will be glad making my humble contributions. Kind regards. DR Bain
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Can fever and sore throat be signs of HIV? 5 hours later
Wow, thank you so much for your kind words. I will certainly get tested, my question is though that since my most recent sexual act was 2 weeks ago, when should I get tested? And should I get the HIV antibody test or early detection test? I prefer the first one since it costs significantly less. If I hadn't mentioned already I'm a male and sadly my acts were also with a male/transgender people, and as I mentioned I had 4 or instances where I received unprotected oral sex. I have had a fever for about 3 days now, and it's like a roller coaster going up and down, the highest it had gone was 103.9, but thankfully it's gone back to normal and I should be feeling better by tomorrow. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Antibody test can do for the moment.. Detailed Answer: Hi and thanks for the updates, You are right antibody detection tests are cheaper. These test done, in case it is negative, you will have to get it done again a couple of weeks later. In case you are too eager to know the HIV status, antigenic tests for anti p24 and polymerase chain reaction test to identify viral particles can be done. These tests are however relatively more expensive. You can consult your doctor for counseling and start with the antibody tests as of now. Kind regards as I wish you the best of health. Dr Bain
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor