Can fatty liver cause palmar erythema?

Dr. Shailja Puri

Pathologist and Microbiologist

Posted on Fri, 3 Feb 2017 in Blood Disorders
Question: Hi Doctor,

I wanted to know if the pictures of my hands are palmar erythemia. They are pinker then everyone I have compared them to though I always thought they were a pink color. It is the whole hand and the back of the hand from the knuckles up. I read the indicators for this and it never says the whole hand is pink so I was not sure. My hands can be ice cold, warm, and sweaty too. Two years ago I had full bloodwork, cbc/diff, iron, ferritin, metabolic panel, lipid panel, and a complete liver check with XXXXXXX test included. Everything cameback fine and the XXXXXXX test was fatty liver borderline possible XXXXXXX I had two ultrasounds and a ct with contrast, all showed normal but with fatty liver. So as of 1.5 yrs ago my Gastro told me I did not need to see him anymore and everything is fine. continue to try and loss weight. should I be concerned by this or could this just be the way my hands are and i never really noticed?

Thank you Doctor.
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Palmar erythema may occur due to liver disease but not fatty liver.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting your query on HealthcareMagic.
Palmar erythema is reddening of palms of hands.
Palmar erythema may be primary or it may occur secondary to some other disease.
Liver disease is commonly associated with palmar erythema.
However, fatty liver is not associated with palmar erythema.
As you have mentioned that your hands can be ise cold, warm and sweaty, I am suspicious for some connective tissue disrder like Ranaud's phenomenon or Raynaud's disease.
Raynaud's phenomenon is characterized by palm becoming blue-pale-red.
It is caused by constriction of blood vessels supplying the palms.
I suggest you to consult your physician for clinical assessment and relevant investigations.
However, the redness of hands is not due to fatty liver.
Obesity is one cause of fatty liver, thus, loosing weight may help in reversing fatty liver.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Shailja Puri 10 minutes later
Thank you doctor. Is this palmar erthema? You also do not think this is from cirrohsis, or maybe progressed to cirrohsis. Just scared it could be liver related. i will look into the other conditio s you stated too. Thank you doctor.
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 0 minute later
Brief Answer:
Thanks and take care

Detailed Answer:
Thanks and take care

Dr Shailja Puri
Follow up: Dr. Shailja Puri 27 minutes later
Doctor two last questions, just to clarify for me. Do you think this is palmar erythemia but caused by something other thank cirrohsis...rayound? Also you do not believe this is do to a progression to cirrohsis? Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
There are no clinical features of liver cirrhosis

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome again,
There are no clinical symptoms or blood tests which suggest presence of liver cirrhosis.

Thanks and take care
Dr Shailja Puri