Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
200 Doctors are Online

Can facial flushing, itchy skin and tachycardia be signs of mast cell activation syndrome?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 3613 Questions
I was wondering if I could have mast cell activation syndrome -mastocytosis came back negative. I have had severe allergies all my life, but I was never tested to see what I was allergic to. 16 months ago I became very sick when our 4th cat came to live with us. My ige was 253-normal is less than 114. I am allergic to 10 things, and cats were off the chart. My symptoms are facial flushing, itchy skin, dizziness, tachycardia, stomach pain with diarrhea, headache, muscle cramps, and chest pain and tightness when exposed to animal dander. And smells bother me also that never did before. I had to get my own apartment. Any help please
Posted Mon, 17 Feb 2014 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Below tests will help you Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for your query. Your symptoms are those typically seen in allergic conditions. I suggest you to get the below tests done which confirm that the problems you have are due to allergy for sure. IgE estimation Absolute eosinophil count (AEC) The above tests indicate the presence of allergy and also quantify the same helping what treatment has to be placed and also help in formulation of the same. The next set of tests is to identify the allergen. ELISA (enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay) RAST (radioallergosorbent test) This will confirm the doubted allergens and help us to avoid the same. Hope, I was of some help. Please let me know if there are any doubts. Regards,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Can facial flushing, itchy skin and tachycardia be signs of mast cell activation syndrome? 5 hours later
My igE was 253-normal is less than 114. Also had a RAST test. Confirmed allergies also. Not sure about the other two. I see an allergist in Philly in a month who specializes in hyper reactive disorders of the immune system. Thanks for the information.
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 13 hours later
Brief Answer: Get the other tests too Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for writing back. Get the other tests for confirmation and formulation of right treatment. Wish you good health. Regards,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Allergist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor