Can eye inflammation be treated with oral antibiotics and Besivance?

Question
I have an infection/inflammation of the soft tissue under the eye. I am using Besivance which is besifloxacin ophthalmic suspension. I am also applying hot packs to the area. After 24 hours the swelling and tenderness appears to have increased vs decreased. My question is should I be taking an oral antibiotic along with the Besivance. If so, which one?
Thu, 26 Apr 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You need to be seen, and most likely given an oral antibiotic.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

If the topical antibiotic and heat are not controlling the infection, then yes, you should be on an oral antibiotic.

It can be difficult for antibiotics to penetrate soft tissue. Topical is really more for the eye itself or for a wound. But for deeper tissue, heat is needed, and if that isn't controlling the infection (more red, hot, and spreading), then add an oral antibiotic.

So I recommend going in to an urgent care clinic to be seen and prescribed an oral antibiotic. Continue with the heat applications.

If you go to an urgent care clinic that is mostly staffed with physician assistants or nurse practitioners, ask to see a physician. You may have to wait longer, but you want a real doctor for this.

I hope this information helps and you are better soon.