Can extreme depression cause headache?

Dr. Pratap Sanchetee

Neurologist

Posted on Sat, 8 Dec 2012 in Brain and Spine
Question: I am wondering extreme depression can cause a heachache of such magnitude it has neurological effects that are considered life threatening? I am very scared! I just saw my neuro gist last Friday who diagnostically tested me for a previous medical condition of a extreme version of partial seizures that caused a five day unciou grandma type seizure witnessed by my MD husband, then an EEG showed limited seizure activity but showed a new concern of further diagnostic testing and after examination the Neur speciast in Headaches acknowledged the diagnosis of probable brain anorisms, Which needed further testing of brain MRI immediately, he prescribed me 4 750 mg of Keppra extended, Lamictal 300 mg ( no driving at all) Fioicet, replax , some other new yet unable to find a pharmacy that had asses to it's location even unable to order, diazepam & XXXXXXX these last two for relation of neck, nerves, and prevention measure added Ativan at night? Please give me your knowledge and educated MD opinion and if I am correct to be very frightened+ the lowest state of mental depression accompanied The headache episode I experienced, please.
I also would like to know if the trama level of XXXXXXX depression following this headache episode is medically related, if so how, and answers on what to do or measures I need to do ASAP to help myself?
Answered by Dr. Pratap Sanchetee 3 hours later
Thanks for sharing your concern with us.

I have gone through the history provided by you. It seems that you have partial seizure with secondary generalisation. Headache and depression can be part of epilepsy but can not be confirmed easily. It can be possibly documented with recording of EEG during the attack. Depression is associated with episode of headache but usually of mild nature and passes of without residual damage. So you can be reassured that the depression and the seizures are not linked.
Also, an aneurysm is a distant possibility and can be investigated with MR angiogram. As of now, you need to continue taking antiepileptic drugs regularly under guidance of specialist.
As far as the depression is concerned, it can be treated with simple relaxation measures like simple relaxation exercises, meditation and doing things you enjoy doing. If it does not help, then consult a psychiatrist.
Hope that helps
Let me know if you have any more questions
Pratap

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli