Can extreme coughing cause rib fracture and muscle fatigue?

Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis

Posted on Fri, 23 Oct 2015 in General Health
Question: I feel that I have either a strained muscle or I have cracked a rib from extreme coughing. I am aware of it when I am doing normal things and have to hold the area when I cough. It is on my left side right at the end of the rib area and is tender to touch.
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
it has to be investigated

Detailed Answer:

the cause of this pain has to be clarified. Localized tenderness can be related to fractures or muscle pain but in any case the cause has to be identified. A pathological fracture for example should lead to investigation about the real cause of bone fragility.

Extreme coughing may cause various problems. Muscle fatigue and tenderness is a common problem.

Clinical examination by your doctor and and X-ray will help a lot to determine the cause.

I hope you find my comments helpful!
You can contact me again, if you'd like any clarification or further information.

Kind Regards!