• question-icon

Can excessive usage of Biofreeze gel cause skin harm?

Posted on Mon, 17 Jul 2017 in General Health
Question: Thank you for asking. I am better, but think I have harmed my skin by over use of biofreeze. Any suggestions other than don't use it? Should I do my exercises every other day instead of every other day. I am sore, but want to get well. Still see chiro, but not physical therapist.

Is there a monthly fee for this service or do you charge each time?
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Read below

Detailed Answer:
Hello again and thank you for coming again to HealthcareMagic.

If Biofreeze has damaged your skin for the moment at least you should interrupt it. My suggestion would be that once it gets better to use formulations with a smaller percentage of Menthol (the main ingredient of Biofreeze). Biofreeze products have usually 4, 5 or 10% of Menthol. So if you have been using a 5 or 10% product try instead a 4% one. If it was the 4% product which caused the issue then look for some other over the counter brand with a lower percentage.

As for the exercises the answer depends on what type of exercise. If it is a question of muscle strength buillding exercises then it would be advisable to do them every other day in order to give muscles time to recover. If exercises aimed at flexibility then should be done every day.

Regarding the payment issue, I believe there is a monthly subscription option as well on this site. However I am not the most indicated person to ask about the details as I am not involved with that aspect at all, no role in management. I have simply registered as a physician instead of as a patient and once the site has reviewed my documentation I am sent these questions for which I am given a percentage of the payment. But I am not involved at all in the technical details, so if you can find that written somewhere in your patient interface should write to the staff.

I hope to have been of help.
Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist