Can excessive alcohol consumption cause fatty liver disease?

Dr. Anshul Varshney

Posted on Wed, 31 Aug 2016 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: Hello Sir,
I am 45 years old. My USG shows fatty liver. SGOT count is 44 and SGPT count is 64. My cholesterol and sugar levels are well within the limit. I exercise regularly and keep my weight under check. I have been drinking on an average one bottle of beer twice a week since last 20 years. Is it a cause for worry. Also please suggest treatment
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to Healthcaremagic.
Hi, I am Dr Anshul Varshney , I have read your query in detail , I understand your concern.
Your liver enzymes are raised and liver is fatty which are probably due to alcohol consumption.

If you would stop alcohol consumption, your liver enzymes would improve and gradually they will reach the normal limits.

You would require to stick to "No Alcohol" regimen and continue exercises and if required your doctor may prescribe you Ursedeoxycolic Acid for the same. Make sure that you don't take any pain killers without your doctor's advise.

I would also advice you to go for testing for hepatitis B and C.

This is my personal opinion based on details available here. If you still have any other query, you may please ask me.
Stay Healthy.
Dr Anshul Varshney , MD