Can estrogen deficiency cause high triglyceride level?

Question
Hi. My blood pressure has recently gone up quite high and also tryglycerides. This has never happened before. I eat well. lots of veggies, fruit, nuts, olive oil and fish. No red meat, a little dairy, and soy. One cup of coffee, one of decaf and two black/green tea per day. And I exercise 3 hours a day, some cardio and weights. And I do yoga. My body weight is lean
But I am 57, female, and have osteoporosis. I think estrogen is fairly low. Do you think estrogen deficiency can be responsible for all these symptoms? What do you suggest I do? Many thanks, XXXXXXX
Posted Mon, 18 Aug 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
estrogen low troubles high so yes

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking
You are very right. Estrogen when get age related low then the odds for such trouble like increased lipid profile and hypertension issues increase.estrogen utilises lipids and make sure good cholesterol is enough.
Now that happened, you need two things
1) a good compliant use of antihypertensive medications for the rest of your life after getting confirmed of it , two more readings at two different occasion s will do that.
2) manage to reduce cholesterol and lipid profile from blood. You are lean and with good lifestyle should not be a problem.use niacin, resins, lipid lowering agents, avoid saturated and transsaturated fats, and continue the same good work like exercise etc.
You will be out of trouble. Get to a doctor and let them prescribe you a good antihypertensive and lipid therapy.
I hope it helps. Take good care of yourself and don't forget to close the discussion please.
May the odds be ever in your favour.
Regards XXXXXXX

Follow-up: Can estrogen deficiency cause high triglyceride level? 8 hours later
Thanks Dr XXXXXXX for all your information on medication options, and for confirming that low estrogen is the reason for the high cholesterol and blood pressure. I wil l wait a little while before my next blood pressure test.

Now, you said estrogen uses lipids. So would promoting estrogen production in the body, by consuming lots of soy, or by estrogen replacement therapy, help with the blood pressure and lipids? Would you recommend estrogen therapy as a solution?

Thanks
XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
i will NOT

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for getting back
As I said estrogen production utilises lipids and exogenous supplementation does not help much.as it's one manufacturing out let for lipid consumption and won't be benefited from exogenous source. PLUS Estrogen has pros And Cons. There is a reason mother nature set the estrogen to decline after some age as that had catastrophic effects like malignancy. Nut shell not wise to use estrogen which won't help ant way rather will make troubles.
Better use safer ways we discussed to bring lipids down.
I hope it helps. Take care.
Khan
please close the discussion.