Can eosinophils cause cancer?

Dr. Indranil Ghosh

Oncologist

Posted on Sat, 9 Jun 2018 in Blood Disorders
Question: Hi. I am a 39 year old female. I had blood work done and my eosinophils is at an 8 and range should be between 0-7. Everything I'm reading is pointing to cancer. My Ferritan is Low is at a 7. My Iron is low at 37, saturation is low at 8, and TIBC is at 463 high. A year ago I was told that I have iron deficiency and vitamin d deficiency. Can my low iron be causing my eosinophils to be low. Please shed some light.
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Nothing to suggest cancer

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Your reports suggest iron deficiency. You should take regular iron pills to correct it. There is nothing to suggest cancer. Eosinophils are only marginally high. Sometimes intestinal parasites cause rise in eosinophils and at the same time cause iron deficiency anemia. So that needs to be ruled out by a stool examination.

Overall, there is nothing to worry.

Hope this helps. I will be available to answer further followup queries, if any.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T