Can energy supplements be given for a 15 month old child?

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Mon, 12 Sep 2016 in Child Health
Question: Hello Doctor,

My daughter is 15 months old. We have just started to give her cow milk along with mother's feed.

Just wanted to consult whether we should give her any energy supplements like bournvita/horlicks etc.

If yes then please suggest which brand will be the best and available in XXXXXXX

Thanks & Regards
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
A wholesome meal is more important.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

Let me tell you that health supplements or energy supplements are hardly of any benefit. The body is made of proteins and the energy comes from carbohydrates. Both of these need to be given in bulk. These cannot be supplemented with a spoonful or two of some supplement. If you plan to give at least a 100g of complan/horlicks/bournvita per day, the matter is different, but I do not think that you have plans for that. If not, better skip them altogether. Rather give your child plenty of fruits and vegetables along with other nutritious food principles.

Since I am not advocating such supplements, I am skipping the name of so called best brand.

Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad