question-icon

Can endometriosis cause a rise in ESR levels?

Posted on Mon, 8 Oct 2018
Question: I am 49 years old, female and weigh 58kg. I have recently had a very bad cold and still have some symptoms. I also suffer from endometriosis. I have just had the results of my blood tests and I have a sedimentation rate of 28 in the first hour and 61 in the second hour. Previous reading 11 and 27. I have also had a gamma gt result of 109 last reading 45, the other transamines tests were up but not above acceptable rates. I don't drink heavily and if I do it is wine I drink. Should I be worried?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:

Not worrisome.

Detailed Answer:

The rise in ESR can be due to a non-specific inflammation- can be related to a flare-up of endometriosis.

It alone does not suggest a specific illness. In case there are any other associated symptoms like persistent fever or body aches then further tests are needed.

Right now you can get the levels evaluated again after 6 weeks as till then the effect of a cough and cold will also subside.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Rakhi Tayal, OBGYN
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN