Can elevated potassium levels in the blood cause mushy stools and diarrhea?
This has going on sinceDec23 whenIgotfood poisoning ..on and onand on, Have be n told by potassium my family doctor that I have help.
It is not one of the symptoms normally seen.
Thanks for your query.
No, this is not a symptom of high potassium (hyperkalemia). In fact, excess potassium can be lost in persons with diarrhea-- it can lead to low levels of potassium
Symptoms that can occur in persons with increased potassium levels are nausea, chest pain, palpitations, muscle weakness or fatigue. Some persons have no symptoms due to increased levels.
Stool tests would determine if there is an infection causing the diarrhea but there are other causes of diarrhea such as-(1) high levels of thyroid hormone
(2)diabetes and its affect on the gastroinestinal tract (Stomach and intestines)
(3)irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)
(4)inflammatory bowel disease such as Crohn's or ulcerative colitis
(5)side effect of medication
I hope this helps.
Dr. Michelle Gibson James, General & Family Physician
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Diarrhea followed by blood in stool
- What causes diarrhea and stomach pain with low potassium level
- Can diarrhea cause light stools
- What causes diarrhea and mucas in stools
- Causes of fat globules in stool with diarrhea
- Have loose stools diarrhea taking potassium supplements what to do
- Stool softener cause diarrhea
- What causes diarrhea with blood and mucous
- Symptoms diarrhea chills achy body blood in stool
- Diarrhea with small amount of blood in stools