• question-icon

Can elevated bilirubin and low ALP levels be harmful during pregnancy?

Posted on Tue, 12 Jul 2016 in Pregnancy
Question: I am almost 5 weeks pregnancy Is a billirubin level of 1.3 mg/dL and an alkali e phosphate of 37 U/L detrimental to pregnancy?

Can elevated bilirubin and low ALP levels be harmful to pregnancy? I am almost 5 weeks. I also have hypothryoid and take 50mcg of levothyroxine. What can cause these levles to be off, will it harm a developing babg snd is there anything i can do? Many thanks for your expert opinion and advice
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Not harmful to baby at this level. Do malaria and HBsAg test.

Detailed Answer:
Hello Dear,

Thanks for writing to us. Followings are my comments:

1) I have reviewed your attached report. Serum bilirubin level is just above the normal limit and it indicates LATENT type (NOT active phase) of Jaundice. ALP is also low. Rest of the test results are quite NORMAL.

You should take light diet, avoid fatty or spicy foods and need adequate bed rest. Drink more glucose water.

2) Above test result (1.3 mg%) is NOT harmful to your growing baby. It could be due to side effect of antibiotic or other drugs (previously taken).

Malaria and hepatitis B antigen should be ruled out by undergoing blood test. Kindly, consult with your treating doctor regarding this.

Hope, I have answered your query. Wish your good health and take care.

For future query, you can directly approach me through

http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/Funnel?page=askDoctorDirectly&docId=63326

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. S Patra

OB & GYN Specialist