Can ecstasy cause itching in the head?

Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe

Psychiatrist

Posted on Sat, 9 Jun 2018 in Drug Abuse
Question: Hello. Im on Pristiq (100mg) for about 3 months. About 2 days ago i went to a party and drank alcohol (i got a little high), and took for the first time a pill of ecstasy. I drank a lot of liquids (water, coconut water) during the night so i almost didnt get a hangover, also i didnt feel the ecstasy had a big effect on me because about 2 or 3 hours later i was feeling sober already. But i still feel today that some parts of my body, and especially my head, is a little itchy, not kinda normal... Is this a common side effect? will it go away and what should i do to make it go away? also, because im taking an antidepressant, what else should i be concerned? Im not planning on taking any drugs again.
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Consultation

Detailed Answer:
Hello, and thanks for your question.

Yes, "some parts of my body, and especially my head, is a little itchy", is normal. Please note, there is nothing you can do other than wait for the drug to leave your system, which it will, with time.

Using an antidepressant and Ecstasy together is very dangerous because it can cause serotonin syndrome. If you start sweating and develop muscle twitching or fever, I'd suggest going to the ER immediately as this can be fatal.

Dr. Sheppe

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee