Can drospirenone and ethinyloestradiol based contraceptive pills be used as emergency contraception?
She had her period on 18th and was over on 21st XXXXXXX
We tried to look up for emergency pills here in UAE and couldnt find any.
Most of the contraceptive pills here are based on drospirenone and ethinyloestradiol
Would taking multiple tablets of those give the same effect. as emergency pills?
You may take...
Thanks for your query.
Yes it could use as emergency contraception, only combination pills ,like you have prescribed above (based on drospirenone and ethinyloestradiol).
We recommend that she take her first dose (usually 2 pills) of combined emergency contraceptive pills within 120 hours, followed by a second dose 12 hours later. I assume the brand you have contains at least 100 mcg of estrogen (ethinyloestradiol)and .50 mg of progestin(drospirenone). So the number of pills (usually 4 pills ) will depend on which daily oral contraceptive you are using. In the above said example 4 pills over period of 12 hours will do.
That being said, even if she doesn't take contraceptives, the chances for pregnancy are very low because she isn't in her fertile days. I predict that ovulation will occur July 2.
All the best
what should the total dose be for ethinyloestradiol and drospirenone?
does it have any side effects?
she is worried about the side effects of such a combination specially that shw hasnt used any sort of contraceptive pills before..
can you help us on how to calculate the safe and fertile period? we used an online website and it showed that the safe period would end on 24th.
She should take only 4 pills at all.
Don't worry because emergency contraceptive pills have no long-term or serious side effects, and emergency contraception is safe for almost every woman to use. However she might also get a headache, feel tired or dizzy, have some lower abdominal pain, or find your breasts are more tender than usual. These symptoms are expected to soon disappear. The pills might also cause your next period to come early or late.
There are many methods to calculate fertile days;
Body chart temperature
Chart of mucus pattern.
Combination of all three methods she can calculate her fertile days.
Yes she can use any online website to calculate fertile / safe periods.
and my wife took it about 5 hours back..
she took 4 tablets.. and now she has a headache.. could that be from the 4 tablets of yasmin? and isbit a normal side effect?
Thanks for your query.
Headache is a known side effect of XXXXXXX use .
But she will be fine after having ceased their use.
Please take in consideration to use other safer method than emergency contraception.
All the best and take care for her
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Usages of emergency contraceptive pill
- Hyperthyroidism and emergency contraceptive pills
- Emergency contraceptive pill althea
- Emergency contraceptive pills logynon
- Emergency contraception pills in muscat
- Levonorgestrel emergency contraceptive pills
- Emergency contraceptive pill cvs
- Contraceptive pill loette emergency
- Emergency contraceptive pill in periods
- Yasmin as emergency contraceptive pill
- What causes black stool?
- Is Lunesta intake safe when taking Propranolol for high heart rate?
- Are there any side effects of taking APE Alpha Performance Enhancer?
- What causes fluid in Pouch of Douglas?
- What causes spotting after IUD insertion?
- What causes pink discharge,cramping,tender breasts with nausea?
- What causes foul smell from head when suffering from migraine?
- Should Estradiol intake be stopped prior to knee replacement surgery?
- What causes red blotches on skin?
- What causes vaginal bleeding after hysterectomy?