• question-icon

Can diuretics cause elevated BUN and creatinine levels?

Posted on Fri, 30 Jun 2017 in Kidney Conditions
Question: Yes, I am a 48-year old black male with controlled HBP and Meinere's Disease (Vertigo). My ENT prescribed me a water pill twice per day and my general practitioner prescribed me two medications for my HBP. I have been on this course of treatment for three years. My BUN kept rising and my GP told me to increase my water intake. My pharmacist advised that I was stressing my kidneys due to the diuretics. My BUN and Creatinine have increased to where I am being referred to a Nephrologist. My question is, if this was caused by chronic dehydration due to the excessive diuretics I was prescribed can the kidney function be restored to normal levels? My BUN is 24 but before I started the diuretics it was 10. My Creatinine is 1.5.
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Waterpill would not have caused kidney damage!

Detailed Answer:

I have reviewed the reports dating back to 2013 fully. Others look pretty normal but for the kidney function tests.

Water pills wouldn't have caused rising numbers on the kidney function test. In fact, they actually protect the kidneys by keeping the blood pressure low. My suspicion is that that blood pressure has not been well controlled and might explain this. However, the first step is to control these findings and make sure they are elevated for real. If they are, then we would work on identifying all contributing factors and controlling them. We are often not good at reversing chronic kidney damage but we are always able to prevent fast decline that might require aggressive and invasive measures to assist the kidneys.

I hope this helps. I will appreciate updates from you as soon as you meet with your doctor.
Dr. Ivo Ditah