Can discontinuing Bupropion cause weight gain?
First, there is the question of going off of an antidepressant abruptly and without monitoring. This is generally not considered a good idea. Then there can be effects if on other medications. if on any one of many drugs used with bupropion for depression (ability, seroquel) then weight gain is seen in most people. Then, stopping the other medicine would fix it.
But this isn't what was said.
Buproprion in combination with naloxone was recently FDA approved for weight loss. So, 1) certainly seems reasonable that it did what the FDA says it does and 2) would be a reason to stay on it either as the previous medicine or the new one with naloxone (which is about 5x more expensive!!!).
So, medicines should be monitored and not started and stopped on a whimsical basis. Bupropion can work on weight loss it seems. Withdrawal from an antidepressant is not done suddenly nor during winter generally. Going off of a medicine that one has been on a years for a brief period and then restarting it generally doesn't do anything bad but the need for monitoring is still there.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Varenicline and bupropion
- Can venlafaxine bupropion and risperidone cause depression
- Bupropion for ocd
- Does bupropion cause a false positive for illegal drugs
- Wellbutrin bupropion weight loss
- Bupropion dosage for weight loss
- Bupropion and naltrexone
- Bupropion stomatitis
- Pseudolymphoma bupropion
- Effects of bupropion
- Is there any interaction between Morphine and Gabapentin?
- Can the presence of Oxycontin be detected in urine?
- Can Oxycodone be taken for wrist and back pain?
- What causes spitting of black mucus?
- How can Meth be flushed out of the system?
- Would Adderall show up in a urine test?
- What is the differece between Oxycontin and Oxycodone?
- What causes pain after knee replacement surgery?
- How long can i take Xanax for anxiety?
- Are Omega 3 supplements effective in helping muscle recovery after a...