Can diarrhea be a sign of the flu?

Question
I have been ailing with a stomach complaint for almost a week, no vomiting but numerous trips to the loo for the other problem. I am not running a fever, but my wife is on her way home early from work due to an unstoppable cough. Are these flu symptoms, as one of my coworkers admitted her son was ill with flu last week and would have been the ideal vector for this virus. Is it also possible for the doctor to give me an excuse to take to my commanding officer since I am a Federal law enforcement employee and need this to substantiate my absence?
Thu, 7 Jun 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Ornela Ademovi 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please see as below

Detailed Answer:

I understand your concern, but it is not clear from your question whether you are experiencing any other symptoms, besides loose stools. It is flu season indeed and being on etanercept also means your immune system is weaker, but fever, fatigue, muscle pain, stuffy nose are more typical of flu.

Diarrhea doesn’t usually require medication and resolves after a couple of days, but you can take Imodium once or twice per day for relief. Good hydration is also very important.

If you experience stomach cramping, watery or green or foul smelling runny stools accompanied by a fever you most probably need antibiotics (prescription based medication).

Yes, it would be reasonable for any doctor (after clinical examination) to give you an excuse for a diagnosis of diarrhea.

I hope this answers your questions. Please feel free to ask any further questions.

Kind regards