question-icon

Can diabetes type 2 become type 1 diabetes?

Posted on Fri, 21 May 2021
Question: I have diabetes type 2, i have it from 4 years..i was taking it regularly until last year ..i stopped because of expenses . Until recently i started again . I am having hair loss problems lately, i am losing a lot of hair ,

I already visited a general doctor and he did many test, the result of the test was my blood sugar is very high, 10.7. and the test show i have iron deficiency . The doctor has ordered some medications for me

i am already taking the medications for diabeties and if i start taking these medications what effect will it have on my body?

for hair loss i have been asked to take
Vit B8 + vit B5 for 6 weeks = the medicine are =
BIOTINE 5mg 3 times a day for 6 weeks
BEPANTHENE 100mg 3 times a day for 6 weeks

- iron = approximately 30mg twice daily for 3 month

can diabeties type e2 become type 1? and i need insulin injections?

please advise me soon
Follow up: Dr. Mirjeta Guni (4 minutes later)
i was advised by another doctor online it is Androgenetic alopecia
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni (24 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
About hair loss treatment;

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking!
The treatment you are taking for hair loss is right, iron deficiency is the first to be corrected but it will take some weeks to see the effect.
Biotin supplements can help too.
If the hair fall persists your dermatologist may prescribe minoxidil foam and regaine that are more efficient.
Regarding to Diabetes, type 2 Diabetes can not switch to type 1, but when HbA1c is over 9% we usually recommend insulin treatment as it is the fastest medication to correct the blood sugar.
Of course the treatment with insulin may be temporary.
Hope the information will help.
Kind regards,
Dr.Mirjeta
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Mirjeta Guni (32 minutes later)
Is my HbA1c is over 9%? I have sent you the reports from the test

at present i am taking medications for diabetes ( 5 different tablets daily once a day)

if i take the medication for hair loss ( 1 tablet 3 times a day) what effect will it have on my body?
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni (2 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Antidiabetic orals and hair loss treatment;

Detailed Answer:
Hi again,
Taking biotin and iron does not have significant side effects (diarrhea or gastric discomfort caused by iron tablets) and they do not interfere with antidiabetic medications.
Your Hba1c is 9.09% and your physician has judged to try the tablets. You need to monitor glucose level fasting and postpandial, to verify that oral antidiabetic tablets are functioning.
Otherwise, if the glucose level persists high, consult your physician to add insulin.
Dr.Mirjeta
Dr. Mirjeta Guni

Endocrinologist