Can diabetes be induced by surgical stress?

Dr. Mirjeta Guni

Endocrinologist

Posted on Fri, 11 May 2018 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: myhusband is post surgerical 5x bypass. All organs are reacting too much or shutting down. The team's main concern is his glucose going extreme high or low. They are giving him insulin as needed. Does that mean he is permanently diabetic?
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
About Diabetes outcome;

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking!
I can understand your concern regarding to your husband's health.
If he hasn't been diabetic before surgery, than it is a Diabetes induced by the surgical stress.
Usually the glucose levels in these cases improve within some weaks but if the values are too high I think he has been with Diabetes before but has not been diagnosed (HbA1c that shows the mean glucose level of the last three months will confirm it).
If so, he will been long-term treatment.
Hope the information will help.
Kind regards,
Dr.Mirjeta

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad