Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
173 Doctors are Online

Can depression cause brain atrophy and confusion?

User rating for this question
Answered by

Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 1698 Questions
I told my PMD that I was having problems w/ cognition, memory, and executive skills. I forget peoples names (that I have worked w/ for over a year). I am the slowest RN on my unit...My Nursing Director has called me in to tell me I can't have all this OT b/c no other nurse has to stay so long to get work done. I have trouble finding the words (sometimes simple words) I want to say. A fes times recently I have been confused as to where I am while driving very familiar routes. My psychiatrist (I have chronic depression & anxiety) says it is r/t my depression and put me on Adderall w/ no improvement). I can only work PT b/c it is too much for me (stress of being so inept). My PMD ordered a CT scan which showed mild brain atrophy. I have a maternal uncle that just passed from Alzheimer's Disease (early 70's). I am only 62 years old, active, eat well, slim, and have almost an "addiction" to learning new things... (though I am finding it harder to remember what I have learned). Is mild brain atrophy normal at my age? I want to ask for an MRI , my PMD suggests a neuro consult; but this is so upsetting and I just want to know if it is normal ro have mild brain atrophy at 62 yrs old. I have scoured the web but can't find an answer. Should I ask for an MRI before seeing a neurologist? I really feel I need more info. Thank you.
Posted Mon, 27 Nov 2017 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Ajay Panwar 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Of course, mild atrophy is normal at your age.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for being on
I am Dr.Ajay Panwar,a neurologist, here to answer your query.

I have gone through your detailed clinical history and I must assure you that mild brain atrophy is normal at your age.It is actually 'age related brain atrophy'.

If you are too worried, a neurologist may be consulted to assess your higher mental functions, and hence to rule out the possibility of dementia. Of course, MRI can be done in this situation. However, without a neurological examination, it may just be an over investigation.

Hope that helps.If you have any further questions,I shall be glad to have you in follow-up.

Dr.Ajay Panwar,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor