Can depo birth control shots cause rash, discharge and inflammation of the vagina?

Question
I have been o depo birth control shot for about a year or more and have recently developed some of the listed side effects such as rash, discharge, and inflammation and/or infection of the vagina. I thought it was an STD and was treated for chlamydia but there is no results. PCP did test which have not heard anything and she wasn't even sure that is chlamydia was just treating me for most common STD. is it possible that these are side effects even though i've been on shot for over a year ?
Tue, 8 May 2018 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Can be Chlamydia or other STDs

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Welcome to Healthcaremagic. Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in best way possible. First of all it's sad to know what you had been going through lately.

Based on the history you have shared, It can still be chlamydia or any other STDs. The symptoms you have shared are not direct side effects of depo shots. The depo related side effects are basically indirect and is due to the fact that depo can increase the chances of STDs some three to five times more than general population.

The exact mechanisms are unknown but have sometimes attributed to the changes in Vaginal and uterine mucosa facilitating the invasions of STDs. To narrow down the exact diagnosis it's better to get detailed STDs blood screens as well as to send cultures through vaginal swabs and urine as well. It will identify the exact bug and both yeast or common bacterial causes should be worked up simultaneously.

It's recommended to get a detailed per vaginal examination done by a gynecologist and may need ultrasound pelvis to see extent of inflammation. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Hope this has answered your query. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask. Regards.