• question-icon

Can dehydration lead to kidney dysfunction?

Posted on Fri, 21 Jul 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: what does it mean, due to dehydration, there are some bruising to the kidneys?
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Consideration

Detailed Answer:
hello and thank you for sending the question.

Dehydration can lead to some degree of kidney dysfunction. This may be what they referred to as bruising. When the kid he does not have adequate perfusion of blood and fluid it can affect the overall kidneys ability to function, filter the blood and make adequate urine.

The kidney is a very specialized organ which controls balance as of electrolytes and fluids which is important for all of our body functions. When a patient is dehydrated this optimal kidney function is disturbed. With adequate treatment however can you poke and can be restored with fluid hydrationand by possibly providing medications to help optimize flow of blood to the kidney and urine from the kidney to the bladder.

Thank you again for sending the question.

Sincerely,

Dr. Galamaga
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Dr. Robert Galamaga

Oncologist