Can dehydration lead to high blood pressure?

Dr. Ivo Ditah

Posted on Wed, 31 Aug 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: My Dad was out all day yesterday walking and did not drink a lot of fluids.
Today he got up to go out to get the mail, it is extremely hot and humid and got dizzy and bp went up to 166/90
he kept checking and went back down to 151/90 then 140/90
He takes meds for hbp and usually under control.
did have slight high sugar problem has kept under control w/o meds and diet
is 84 yrs old, in good health and only meds are simvistatin and triamptermene with hcg (water pill)
Not sure what caused this, happened 2x. He did not eat carb and protein but salty olives with cheese and cucumbers for lunch. Usually his diet, nothing abnormal. Felt he over did it yesterday maybe but walks 5 miles per day but never for 8 hours as we did . He did have a little foot stumble yesterday while walking slowly.
What could be going on?

Can you please advise asap? He is 1 1/2 hrs away and lives alone. Active congnative man, he called me to ask what could be wrong but won't call doctor, they never do at this age.
I need to know if I should head there is this an emergency and have him taken to er or if watch?
We are in a heatwave of extreme dense heat and humidity but this has never happen to him before.
I thought I'd have an immediate answer with this system.
Thank you and I await your prompt reply.
Sincerely,
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Monitor only for now!

Detailed Answer:
HI and thank you so much for this query.

I have reviewed this information fully and there are no immediate red flags. There is need to rush there at this time. Keep in touch with him and only seek for further medical attention if he reports any further abnormal feelings. For sure, there is a component of doing more than he did on usual days which could explain this observed and reported changes today.

Keep me posted with his progress. I am however positive and that there is no need for further care unless something else comes up. Continue frequent communication at this time and that’s all.
Follow up: Dr. Ivo Ditah 19 minutes later
What would cause the dizziness upon going outside both times and the increase in BP?
Dehydration? Low or High Sugar?
In any case, what should he do and what would the findings be.
What other abnormal feelings would be present?
XXXX

Your answer is has not given any explanation nor proper response to the question nor concern of his health. Please give to someone else if needed for a proper response.
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Unless it repeats itself, I will not call it a disease condition!

Detailed Answer:

I understand the need to label this with a disease condition but we need to be more prudent. Observing and acting accordingly is the best approach. If this doesn’t happen and never happens again, then it was nothing but a transient observation.

Dehydration will not cause increased blood pressure. Fright and flight response might be responsible for such. Low or high sugar cannot cause that as well. If he lost consciousness, then it could be ow sugar but that isn’t the case here. These are all unlikely explanations to what he had.

My next advise will be to do an EKG as an abnormal heart rhythm could cause this. However, a single episode needs further monitoring. Let’s be patient and monitor to gather more details for diagnostics purposes and further orientations.

Keep me posted and let me know if this clears off most of your concerns.
Follow up: Dr. Ivo Ditah 13 minutes later
I appreciate your prompt reply. My concerns stem as I cared for a diabetic mother who shifted rapidly on a consistent level and I know what triggers I saw.
Low sugar can indeed cause dizziness as well as dehydration and my father does not drink enough fluid at all.
I will continue to monitor by phone but being 1 1/2 hrs away is my concern and I will be going to visit him promptly. He would not notice dry or clammy skin, nor being off balance if he is.
Thanks
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Right now, advise that he drinks much!

Detailed Answer:

In the mean time, we can advise that he should drink much water, That will help just in case that is it. However, I will call such a preventive measure as opposed to established dehydration as the cause with such a good and even elevated blood pressure. I should have expected lower numbers and no higher ones when there is dehydration. I will like to hear more when you get more updates and after the list, especially.

I wish your dad all the best.