Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
197 Doctors are Online

Can dark spot at the center of humerus ball be an inciation of cancer?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 1201 Questions
Hello, my father is 80 yr of age. 2 wk ago he fell over some bricks. He had x-rays of his shoulder. There was a break noted, but also a dark spot was seen in the center of ball of the humerus. I thought it may be a cyst, but the ortho Dr seem bit concern. NM and MRI is scheduled. He really doesn't have any symptoms like I have been reading up on, just normal body ache. His potassium level is just a couple of point over normal. Can this all be pointing to Cancer?
Posted Fri, 14 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 57 minutes later
Brief Answer: Always a possibility, tests will be useful Detailed Answer: Dear son, Thanks for your query. Bone abnormalities in the elderly could either mean benign disease such as a bone cyst, or malignancy, most commonly from metastatic disease. It is quite tough to make a firm conclusion over a plain x-ray, so the other upcoming tests will be great to make a more informed call. The nuclear medicine test will be looking for a "hot spot", tumors metabolize sugar quickly and appear as hot spots in the camera, if there is no increased uptake in that area of the dark spot, then concerns are less for malignancy. Thet being said, caveat, with a local fracture there can be local inflammation of the area which may increase uptake. Now, an MRI is going to be done, great, because it will delineate the anatomy of the structure, see if it is weel defined, encapsulated, smooth, etc, all which are consistent with benign disease, rather than irregular, spiculated, highly vascular etc. Hope that helps, wish you both the best, Dr Brenes-Salazar MD Mayo Clinic MN
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Can dark spot at the center of humerus ball be an inciation of cancer? 9 minutes later
Thank you for your input with such little information. I do have one more question. Now if it is a malignancy from a metastatic disease. I heard certain cancers metastasis to certain aeras. So if this can be a bone malignancy, where is it or could be the most likely the primary cancer site ?
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 22 minutes later
Brief Answer: Prostate and lungs Detailed Answer: In men, 80% of metastatic disease is due to prostate or lung cancer; the other 20% by other variety of tumors. We shall wait and see what these investigations bring; easier said than done, but would not worry excessively without all the information, take things a day at a time. Best regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor