Can damaged heart tissues be repaired after a heart attack?

Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil

Posted on Mon, 18 Aug 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: The tip of my heart as well as the outer wall damaged from a heart attack (LAD). Can all my muscle tissue be reversible.? What can this kind of damage do to the heart in the future?
Chances of having another heart attack?
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
key is to minimize your risk factors.

Detailed Answer:
hello and welcome,
I read your history and your SPECT report carefully.

once a tissue gets ischemic (lack of blood supply) for a long period of time, damage goes from reversible to irreversible tissue injury. therefore a large area has been rendered irreversibly damaged. though some portion is reversibly damaged and you can expect improvement there but unfortunately irreversible injuries don't heal back to normal. the damaged portion is replaced by fibrotic tissue with time. this has affected the overall functioning of the heart as a whole. you have decreased systolic function which means the heart isn't contracting very efficiently.

this kind of damage can lead to a higher chance of complications and repeat heart attack if modifiable risk factor aren't controlled. these include heart failure, rhythm abnormalities, pericarditis and others

I have checked your medications and your doctor has prescribed all of them correctly. please continue these medication. the stent and the medication will benefit you in both the long and short run

refrain from smoking, try to avoid or minimize stress, maintain a healthy low cholesterol high fiber diet.

let me know if you have any query.
thanks.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 4 hours later

Dr. XXXXXXX Sareer XXXXXXX
Thank you for your detailed report. I am going to upload my first EKG that was given 3 weeks prior. I was wondering if it shows the start of a heart attack?

Thank you
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
ECG SHOWS ISCHEMIC CHANGES.

Detailed Answer:
hello and welcome. THERE ARE TWO CATEGORIES OF PATIENTS IN ACUTE M.I

A)In most of patients of Acute Myocardial Infarction (heart attack) , the initial ECG is abnormal with 50% having classic signs of ST elevation or Q waves.

B) 35 % will have signs consistent with ischemia ( ST DEPRESSION AND/OR T WAVE INVERSION)

YOUR CASE FITS IN CATEGORY B.
ST segment depression in leads 2,3, avf (inferior wall)
t wave inversion V2, V3.

diagnosis is made in correlation of the ECG with the patient s clinical status.

thanks.
have a nice day.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad