Can crown with decay under it cause a sedimentation rate of 140?

Dr. Rovena Murati

Posted on Mon, 22 Jun 2015 in General Health
Question: Can a crown with decay under it cause a sedimentation rate of 140? Recently experienced a TIA and then sed rate elevation was found and also hypothyroidism..62yr old female
Answered by Dr. Rovena Murati 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
detailed below.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.

Welcome to Healthcare Magic.

I read carefully your query.

It is very unusual for a tooth decay to cause an elevation of ESR level and other markers of inflammation and it can happen mostly when a serious infection like a tooth abscess is present.In this case you would have tooth pain,fever etc.

If there is no infection present ,than a decay tooth can not be responsible for the elevation of ESR.

A level of ESR over normal range indicates the presence of an inflammatory process in the body.It can be related with your hypothyroidism ,if the cause of hypothyroidism is an inflammation of thyroid gland.
ESR is an unspecific test and you need further investigations to determine the cause.

Hope it helps.
Let me know if you have any question.

Kind regards,
Dr.Rovena Murati