Can cow milk along with breast milk be given to an infant?

Dr. Archana Verma

Pediatrician

Posted on Sat, 17 Oct 2015 in Child Health
Question: Hello Doctor,

My Baby has completed 4.5 months and is exclusively breast feed. We have been hearing suggestions and opinion that we can start cow milk few times a day along with breast milk.

I wanted to seek ur advice on when can we start and what allow can be started in coming months.

Thanks,
XXXXX
Answered by Dr. Archana Verma 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
Avoid cow milk till one year of age

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to the HCM

I understand your concerns. But exclusive breastfeeding is best for babies till 6 months of age. This helps their immunity,growth and development. Also, it prevents many diseases like gastroenteritis, respiratory problems, adult onset diseases. So, avoid any milk or other products before 6 months.

Thereafter you can start complementary feeds along with breast milk. We advice to start with the following:
1. Roasted cereal flours esp. Rice, Ragi, and gradually wheat. It can be mixed with water or milk with sugar/salt to make purie.
2. Puried fruits and boiled veggies
3. Various pulses, soya beans
4. Milk products like curd, cheese, creams etc.

The initial diet should be fine and thin. The thickness should be gradually increased so that baby is more receptive. Avoid cow milk till one year of age as it may lead to allergic tendency.

Hopefully this will help you. I would be happy to help you in any further questions.

Follow up: Dr. Archana Verma 38 hours later
Hello Doctor,

Thanks so much for your guidance on cow milk avoidance till the first year.

From now on till he reaches 6 month of age along with Mother's milk would it be fine to begin with Formula based milk like Lactogen and all.Till now we have not given him anything except mother's milk.

Thanks,
XXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Archana Verma 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You may start formula feeds if breastfeeding not feasible

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Exclusive breastfeeding is best for babies till 6 months of age. But in case it's not feasible then you may use formula feeds like Lactogen 1, Non Pro1, or Lactodex 1. Just take utmost care of hygiene and proper dilution.

Also, start him on complementary feeds along with milk as advised earlier.

Hopefully this will help you.
Follow up: Dr. Archana Verma 8 hours later
Sure Doctor thanks a ton. Lot of suggestions making us confused so please bear with my doubts.

Just a last doubt that u mentioned earlier that we can start after 6 months Roasted cereal flours mixed with milk or water. For this which milk to use?
Answered by Dr. Archana Verma 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You may use formula milk or milk other than cow's milk

Detailed Answer:
Hi
You may use breast milk, formula milk, soya milk, or milk from animals ( buffalo) other than cow.

Hopefully this will help you.