question-icon

Can coumadin be taken before a thoracic aorta CTA procedure?

Posted on Fri, 3 Feb 2017
Question: I have to have a Thoracic Aorta CTA tomorrow. No one mentioned not taking my coumadin tomorrow. Should I take it?
Answered by Dr. Sagar Makode (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
You can take it.

Detailed Answer:
hello,
what you have been advised fasting from midnight or early morning. As such there is no contraindication for coumadin, only issue is of fasting. Generally coumadin is taken at 6 pm, at what time do you consume, if in the morning and you have to fast from early morning, you take it in the early morning, if asked for fasting from midnight then you can take after cta.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Dr. Sagar Makode

Cardiologist