Owl Image

Can coughing interfere with the thymus?

Owl Image
Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Question
Can coughing interfere with the Thymus? Sometimes I cough really hard and feel like I need to burp to relax my Thymus back into place. Could this be a symtom of an enlarged Thymus? The cough is not in itself health related, it rather the side effect of introducing certain unburned hydrocarbons into the lungs from a certain herb used medicinally with high amounts of THC. It is used once every 4-5 hours to treat severe back pain accompanied with a large benign tumor close to the spine.
Thu, 13 Dec 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 9 hours later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

The thymus is located in the anterior part of the chest and different abnormalities can rarely develop in it such as cysts or other growths.
At age 32, the thymus would have decreased significantly in size and alot would have been replaced by fat.

Your coughing would not disturb the thymus, it is one of the possible symptoms of an enlarged thymus though in your case you stated that it was related to something else.Other symptoms of an enlarged thymus or a mass in the thymus would be chest discomfort,shortness of breath, recurrent hoarseness.

I hope this helps. feel free to ask any other questions