Can copper coil be inserted immediately after an abortion procedure like D&C?

Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 10 Dec 2012 in Abortion and Stillbirth
Question: Hi, my partner says she had a Miscarriage, she was 9 weeks pregnant, she said she had the d&c procedure and then had the copper coil fitted at the same time, is this likely or is it more likely she had an abortion via d&c and had the coil fitted?
Answered by Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed 40 minutes later
Hello there.

Thanks for writing.

Yes, a copper coil can be inserted immediately after an abortion procedure like D&C.

There are no risks.

A woman can conceive within 2 weeks of an abortion so getting a copper coil fitted immediately after abortion helps avoid this risk.

I hope I have answered your query.

Follow up: Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed 1 hour later
My partner said she did not have an abortion but Miscarriage, if she had a Miscarriage and opted for the D&C procedure because she is under 25 could a copper coil be fitted, or is this normally only the case after an abortion?

thank you
Answered by Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed 1 hour later
Hello there.

Thanks for writing.

Yes a miscarriage which is incomplete is completed either medically with drugs or surgically with D&C.

Now if your partner also expressed the desire of contraception (avoid future pregnancy), copper coil insertion is a good way of achieving this.

Every case of abortion by D&C is not followed by copper coil insertion. Only cases who desire contraception are provided with copper coil insertion.

I hope I have answered you.

Kindly revert if you have further doubts.

Follow up: Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed 24 minutes later
Thanks for your reply.

Is it possible for the fetus to have died inside her for two weeks as since week 7 she said she did not feel pregnant no more, she was no longer having morning sickness and her breasts had stopped hurting, there was no signs of spotting right up to week 9.

Thank you
Hello there.

Yes, it is quite possible for silent demise of the fetus to occur well before manifestations of miscarriage.

Such cases are known as missed abortion.

Naturally when the pregnancy is not viable (dead) then level of pregnancy hormones start falling which leads to disappearance of the physiological symptoms of pregnancy like nausea and breast tenderness.

take care.