Can copper IUD cause red pimple like bumps on the penis?

Dr. Jacqueline Brown

OBGYN

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in Women's Health
Question: Can my copper IUD cause red pimple like bumps on the shaft of my partners penis? Can the copper cause an allergic reaction or the string cause irritation? I've had it since July 2016. I am not experiencing any symptoms. He is a 46 year old-male with no history of an STD such as herpes or genital warts. He does have uncontrolled diabetes.
Answered by Dr. Jacqueline Brown 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
If your partner does not feel the string it is unlikely the cause

Detailed Answer:
Hello, and I hope I can help you today.

Skin rashes on the penis can have multiple causes, but reports on reactions that can be attributed to their partner's IUD have not been reported.

There are some men who experience irritation from the string of their partner's IUD. However, men can usually feel a scratching or chafing sensation if the string is irritating them, so if your partner has no symptoms during sex, it is not likely related to the IUD string.

Women who have an allergy to copper are recommended for safety not to use the IUD, however there have not been clearly documented cases of a skin rash being caused by a copper IUD. If your partner has a known metal allergy (gets a rash from jewelery) it may be a rare possibility but I could not find a case reported in the medical literature I reviewed. If you and your partner use condoms or a lubricant, he is much more likely to have an allergy to that than copper.

Most likely, if your partner has diabetes, a fungal or bacterial infection of the skin can cause an itchy rash on the penis. His primary care physician could diagnose this with an examination and prescribe the proper treatment.

So in summary- I think it is not likely that your partner's symptoms have anything to do with your IUD.

I hope I was able to adequately answer your question today and that this information was helpful. If I can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Best wishes,
Dr. Brown

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Jacqueline Brown 48 minutes later
Thank you. This makes a lot of sense. Now my next question is if it is a fungal or bacterial infection from the diabetes, could he give me a bacterial infection? The reason I ask is because I have a mild bacterial infection something that I never really got until him. I noticed itching day or so after having sex with him a few times.
Brief Answer:
It is possible that he gave it to you if it is a yeast infection

Detailed Answer:
Hello again, and I apologize for the delayed reply.

Most vaginal bacterial infections are caused by an overgrowth of one type of a bacteria that is found in the vagina and is not contagious to a man called Gardenerella Vaginalis. The symptoms of a bacterial infection in a woman is typically a foul-smelling vaginal discharge.

However, of your partner is colonized with yeast, it is possible that he could pass it to you.

Normally a healthy man with an intact immune system would not contract penile yeast skin infections but your partner's diabetes makes him more succeptable because yeast feeds on the sugar in his body fluids.

So I think it is more likely that he has a fungal infection if you experience itching rather than odor as a symptom.

I suggest, just because of his diabetes, that your partner see a doctor to get an accurate diagnosis. He will get fewer skin infections if his diabetes can get under better control as well.

I hope this additional information is helpful.

Dr. Brown
Follow up: Dr. Jacqueline Brown 2 hours later
Thank you. You are extremely helpful. I only have itching no odor. He will be seeing the doctor tomorrow.

Have a great night Dr. Brown.
Brief Answer:
Thanks a lot

Detailed Answer:
You are very welcome, and thank you for using my services and healthcaremagic.com
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D