Can contaminated water if goes into the eyes and mouth during bathing the dog cause rabies?

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 26 Sep 2018 in General Health
Question: Hi sir a stray dog bite my dog on Tuesday I gave immediately bath to him while bathing some water goes into my eyes and mouth so I haven't think its Rabbies risk but took vaccine on Saturday so is there any rabbies risk and if yes late vaccine effective or not
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:

No risk of Rabies.

Detailed Answer:

Hello.

Thank you for the query.

There is no Rabies possibility for you. The only way it can be transmitted is a saliva. And not with your dog saliva.

Even if your dog has gotten infected, it does not have the virus in his saliva yet. It is way too early for that.

So you can forget about Rabies at this point.

Hope this helps. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko, General Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 12 minutes later
Actually sir saliva was on dog wound where other dog bite and I gave bath him if water strike his body and goes to my eyes than is there risk and I read 2think rabbies transmitted through eyes via optic nerve and other I read its very rare if infected saliva directly goes to eyes also if I started vaccine after 4 days is it too late
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:

It sounds impossible.

Detailed Answer:

Hello!

It would be extremely impossible to have it transmitted that way. And even if so, as long as you do not have symptoms, vaccination is effective even 4 days after.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko, General Surgeon
Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 5 minutes later
Very thank you it give immense relief sir, I have mild fever due to pharyngitis last Saturday I took vaccine. I gave immediately bath to him after bite that's why I was worried and even my doctor refused for vaccine as he said no risk but I think due to overreading on Internet I was depressed thanks sir
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 0 minute later
Brief Answer:

You are welcome.

Detailed Answer:

Hi again!

You are welcome.

Take care,
Dr. Grzegorz Stanko, General Surgeon