Can consumption of vegetable juice from an expired and bulging can cause botulism?

Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

Posted on Tue, 14 Jan 2014 in Infections
Question: Hi, I'm worried because today I did something very stupid. I had a very old expired can of V8 vegetable juice from 2009 that was bulging. I needed it for a recipe. I tasted it and it tasted fine and then I cooked soup with it and ate it! I'm worried now that there was bacteria growing in the can. It was bulging and hissing when I opened it. Should I be worried about botulism now? I can't believe I did this.
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 58 minutes later
Brief Answer: Yes there is a chance Detailed Answer: Hi, As per the manufacturers if a bottle bulges it indicates the presence of gas which is evidence about organism grwoth. It could be botulinum or other germs. So there is a chance of botulism. The incubation period (time taken for the symptoms to appear) is within 3 days I suggest you to keep a close watch about the symptoms. If you have muscle weakness, dry mouth, blurring of vision I suggest you to see the local doctor. If you do not have these in the next week you just have to learn a lesson about the experience.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli