Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
191 Doctors are Online

Can consumption of vegetable juice from an expired and bulging can cause botulism?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 1773 Questions
Hi, I'm worried because today I did something very stupid. I had a very old expired can of V8 vegetable juice from 2009 that was bulging. I needed it for a recipe. I tasted it and it tasted fine and then I cooked soup with it and ate it! I'm worried now that there was bacteria growing in the can. It was bulging and hissing when I opened it. Should I be worried about botulism now? I can't believe I did this.
Posted Tue, 14 Jan 2014 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 58 minutes later
Brief Answer: Yes there is a chance Detailed Answer: Hi, As per the manufacturers if a bottle bulges it indicates the presence of gas which is evidence about organism grwoth. It could be botulinum or other germs. So there is a chance of botulism. The incubation period (time taken for the symptoms to appear) is within 3 days I suggest you to keep a close watch about the symptoms. If you have muscle weakness, dry mouth, blurring of vision I suggest you to see the local doctor. If you do not have these in the next week you just have to learn a lesson about the experience.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor