Can consumption of raw rose milk cause rabies?

Excellent

Infectious Diseases Specialist
Question
Hello doctor I have two queries,
1.Two and half months back I had an exposure in which I touched the place where the saliva of an cow fell I touched the place a few seconds after the saliva us fallen It was an temple and I worshipped by touching that place and kept it in my eyes and mouth (not fully like praying) is this a exposure for rabies?(my question the virus will be inactive onceit is exposed to air rite? So I touched the saliva a few seconds after it fell on the ground and I took few more sseconds to take to my eyes so the virus would have been inactive?)
2, I drank XXXXXXX milk in an shop and when I asked the shopman he told the milk was not boiled and so i drank it.is this an exposure one doctor said it is theorotically possibke but no cases has benn recorded.please help me,

3, I had 5 doses of rabies vaccine 9 months back.(no immunoglobulin)
Posted Thu, 7 Aug 2014 in Infections

Answered by Dr. Praveen G 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You may require two dose of anti rabies vaccine

Detailed Answer:
welcome to Healthcare Magic,

I have gone through your previous history and understand your concern.

Rabies virus is very sensitive to water and air, it can hardly survive for few seconds in the environment. Chance of getting rabies virus into your body and causing the disease is highly impossible. As you have taken active immunization with 5 shots of antirabies vaccine 9 months back, your immune system will be primed to produce antibody titres to fight against rabies virus.

If you have consumed milk of a rabid cow also (Don't know the rabies status of the cow), don't worry you will have antibodies to fight against rabies virus. If you are so concerned, you can take two doses of anti rabies vaccine on days 0 and 3.

This is only to remove the anxiety associated with the disease rabies. I have suggested two doses of anti rabies vaccine considering you as Re-Exposures (Assuming you have consumed a milk of a rabid cow) according to WHO categorization.

Thank you.

Follow-up: Can consumption of raw rose milk cause rabies? 40 minutes later
Thank you doc,yes rabies is haunting me for the last one year.

Regarding the saliva touch on eye incident am i rite?The saliva fell on ground and when i touched it few secs later it must have been inactive rite?so when i kept the hand in my eyes like praying the even if there was virus it would have been inactive rite

Pls answer nd help me doctor

Answered by Dr. Praveen G 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes virus will be inactive

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the query,

Yes rabies virus will be inactive during the process of reaching the earth and your eyes.
As you take anti rabies vaccine nothing will happen.

Just relax you are fine.
Thank you.

Follow-up: Can consumption of raw rose milk cause rabies? 18 minutes later
Thank you for your help doctor

So the virus would have been inactive rite?

I have slight pain in my eye that is causing me to panic

Can i move on or put two more doses?

Answered by Dr. Praveen G 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes, virus will be inactive

Detailed Answer:
It is my privilege to answer your query,

Don't panic, you are perfectly alright. The fear of rabies is creating all these uncertainty.

If you are so concern you can take two dose of anti rabies vaccine on days 0 and 3.

This will help to reduce all your stress and concern.
Thank you.