Can consultation for broken toe wait until tomorrow?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Sat, 24 Oct 2015 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I believe i have a broken toe - stubbed last night and bruising has spread into foot - wondering if any danger overnight or i can wait until morning to go to dr?

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
can strap over night

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

With a broken toe there is normally no immediate danger. If the pain or any other symptoms are severe then you should be seen as soon as possible but in the majority there are no immediate complications

You should consider strapping it to the adjacent toe overnight. This would reduce any movement that may worsen the fracture if present and would also help reduce any pain due to movement.

You can use tape or strapping in your at home medicine kit.

Use an anti inflammatory pain killer to help reduce any pain or swelling unless there is a particular reason that you cannot use one of these meds eg ibuprofen, naproxen, cataflam

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 22 hours later
Thanks for help last night. The pain is much less today, but bruising has moved over to bigger toes almost to big toe since this morning.is this normal or cause for concern see new photo
Brief Answer:
due to damage to small vessels, can occur in trauma

Detailed Answer:
HI

Bruising would indicate that there is bleeding in the small vessels under the skin which can occur in trauma.
It is likely that the blood from the injured area is spreading to the surrounding toes since these toes themselves were not injured initially.

This does not necessarily indicate that there is any serious problem.

You can continue to strap the toes and use your pain killer till your visit.

When you see your doctor as mentioned, he or she would take a look and likely suggest an x ray

If anything else unclear, can let me know