Can consistent usage of Ipad cause pain in the wrists and hands?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 16 Oct 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Saturday morning I woke up and my wrist is hurting. It’s still hurting today. It hurts on the bottom part of my wrist I can put my fingers straight but it hurts. It’s hurts by. My thumb to, and sometimes on the top of my hand. I do use the iPad a lot during the day. Could it be from doing that all day? I’ve been using ice and wearing a brace so that I don’t bend my wrist. Could I have straighned my wrist from using the ipad all day? It hurts the most under my thumb.but all of it hurts if I press on my wrist. I was wondering what I should do? I don’t have the money to go to the doctor. I was just there. Last week.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Can be due to tendonitis.

Detailed Answer:

The pain in the wrist that you are having is due to tendonitis due to excessive use of IPad.

You need to give it some rest for a while, use hot fomentation twice a day and local ointment for pain relief. Avoid gripping and lifting objects altogether.

Keep it in most comfortable position or use a splint/crepe bandage most of the time (including at night) for best results. Watch for worsening of symptoms like an increase in pain, the appearance of swelling and tingling numbness in fingers.

If you get any of these, visit your physician and get a check up done followed by investigations like X-ray or MRI.

It looks like it will resolve on its own in a couple of days. Do not take medications unless absolutely necessary.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 37 minutes later
Hi
What kind of hot fomentation? Like a heating pad? No ice? What kind of ointment for pain, I have some XXXXXXX XXXXXXX or aspercreme or I’ve been using bio freeze. I shouldn’t take Advil? I have this brace I’ve been Wearing so I don’t bend my wrist..should that be worn tight or not?

Thank you
XXXXXXX

Is it Normal for the top of my hand to hurt and be swollen up a little bit?

Ty

Now the top of my hand hurts worse then before....should I keep this brace on all the time?

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 7 hours later
Brief Answer:

Remove the brace at night while resting.

Detailed Answer:

You can use a heating pad. This will help in relaxing the muscles and tendons in the area.

You can use XXXXXXX XXXXXXX twice a day. Take advil if it is necessary. Use the brace all the time. You can remove it at night.

It should be comfortably tight- not too tight so as to cause a pain but should fit properly so as to give a good support.

The pain and swelling are suggestive of an inflammation. IN case it increases or you have numbness in fingers then do consult your orthopedician.

Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 16 hours later
How long should I keep the heating pad on for? And you sure I can’t use ice to get the swelling down it’s on the top of my hand. Should I put my hand up on some pillows to get the swelling down, the swelling is on top of my hand. It hurts on top of my hand and on my wrist under my thumb. How long will this take to go away?

Ty
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 6 hours later
Brief Answer:

Use a heating pad.

Detailed Answer:

You can keep the heating pad for 10-15 minutes. Heating pad will help you better than ice in reducing the swelling.

You can keep the hand on two pillows while resting.

The inflammation usually takes 2-3 weeks to reduce gradually.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Praveen Tayal, Orthopaedic Surgeon