Can computers cause blurred vision?

Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin

Posted on Tue, 12 Jun 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Saturday while using my computer vision went blurry for a short period and I felt light headed. It did not happen yesterday but for a brief period again today. Have a little nausea. BP is normal range and blood sugar is also normal. What's doing on. I do have a history if inner ear infections
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Can be due to over exhaustion

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Welcome to Healthcaremagic. Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in best way possible. First of all it's sad to know what you had been going through lately.

Based on the history you have shared, it is likely due to excessive screens usage causing exhaustion of ciliary muscles after focussing repeatedly for different wavelengths and images on screens and may lead to strain and blurring.

Also using screens increase blinking duration and decrease frequency of blinking leading to dry eyes and may cause blurring.

Though inner ear infection can cause light headedness but predominantly associated with vertigo and not with blurring unless significant nystagmus or jerky movements of eye balls which can be judged on examination by an ENT specialist.

Using supplements for calcium, vitamin A, C, D3 and B complex can also help alongwith keeping good hydration. Using artificial tears film gel or drops in eyes after prolong usage can be of help.

Checking visual accuity and fundoscopy may be needed if symptoms persist. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Hope this has answered your query. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad