Can collagen supplements strengthen muscles?

Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil

Posted on Sat, 16 Jun 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hi! I am 72, female and starting to go back to the gym after a 3 year time out. I really want my bones to stay strong. I take ADK2 supplement and omega 3. What about a collegen 'supplement? I sometimes drink a muscle milk after I finish my workout. It tastes like Ensure. ( I do machines and yoga stretches) I drink a good bit of water, just found some supposedly natural alkaline water at Publix. The only pharma I take is mobic 7.5mg to calm the arthritic aches and an occasional Xanax for sleep. My question; is mobic safe? Anything else I can do to stay healthy?
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Mobic only if renal function intact

Detailed Answer:
Hello and Welcome

I appreciate your concern

NSAIDs like Mobic are safe only if the renal function is intact. The supplements you mentioned are adequate in my view. If there is a history of osteoporosis or any other indication then a dexa scan may be advised by your doctor to determine the need for further treatment with bisphosphonates if the need be. Other than that I don't see the need for any further changes based on the description which you gave.

Wishing you best of health

Thanks

Let me know if you have any query

Please consult your doctor before deciding on any further course of action.

For future follow up / correspondence you may ask me directly at the link given below

http://doctor.yyyyyyyyyy.com/Funnel?page=yyyyyyyyyyy=68107

Dr. M.S. Khalil