Can cold sores cause facial itching despite being on Valtrex?

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Dermatologist

Posted on Wed, 12 Sep 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Help! I’ve only had 3 cold sores in my life. My 3rd one was really bad after being ill for a few weeks. My cold sore has since healed but now my face itches (all over, not just around my mouth) and I get a burning sensation in my chin. This happened while I had my last cold sore too. It never happened with my 2 before. Is this common? caused by the virus? My doctor gave me Valtrex so I take when this happens but I want to know if it’s from the virus or something else?
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 2 hours later
Brief Answer:

Nonspecific dermatitis, antihistaminic & cortisone cream.

Detailed Answer:

I have gone through your complaints and this itching doesn't seem to be related to the cold sore.

It seems to be some non-specific dermatitis to anything you have applied to your skin or due to the weather.

I would recommend you to take antihistaminic like tablet Cetrizine once or twice daily depending on the intensity of itching and apply cortisone cream on itchy areas twice daily for 5-7 days.

This should improve your symptoms.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 11 hours later
It doesn’t feel like it’s my skin itching. It feels deeper, under the skin. As well as the burning sensation.
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 1 hour later
Brief Answer:

You may need to take tablet Gabapentin and Amitriptyline

Detailed Answer:

It could be neuralgia associated with viral infection.

In that case, you can take tablet Gabapentin once daily and tablet Amitriptyline at bedtime.

These are prescription drugs and you need to see the doctor in person to get them.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Asmeet Kaur Sawhney, Dermatologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee