Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
143 Doctors are Online

Can cold, sore throat and allergy be signs of sleep apnea?

User rating for this question
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 676 Questions
43 year old alcoholic male. Overweight (borderline obese). Snores. Can roll over in bed and fall asleep in an instant. Takes naps during his breaks at work. Takes 2-4 hours naps on weekends. Brings a beer to bed with him. While sleeping takes these short quick breaths: Short inhale through nose and 'puff' out of the mouth. Doesn't exercize. Has been complaining of heartburn more and more often. It seems he may have sleep apnea. Refuses to see a doctor. Can you tell me what the effects are on a person who has had sleep apnea for several years? Is sick with colds, sore throats, and 'allergies' often, but not often flu-like sick. Can sleep apnea cause heart damage?
Posted Fri, 14 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 7 hours later
Brief Answer: Yes, sleep apnea can cause heart damage Detailed Answer: Hello, Thank you for posting your query here on WWW.WWWW.WW I have carefully gone through your query and understand your concern. Sleep apnea has has several effects on the body, of particular importance are the effects on cardiovascular, rspiratory and central nervous systems. Obstructive sleep apnea has been shown to increase the risk for hypertension, pulmonary vascular disease, ischemic heart disease, cerebral vascular accidents, congestive heart failure, and arrhythmias, and it can also cause pulmonary hypertension and hypertension in turn can lead to cerebrovascular accidents. Please persuade him to seek medical help as that will result in dramatic improvement in quality of life and will reduce the risk of all heart related risk factors. Exercise and weight management is crucial along with supported breathing with the help of CPAP. The risk is significant hence it is highly recommended to consult a sleep medicine specialist and a cardiologist at the earliest. Hope this answers your query, please write back if you need further clarifications. Wishing you good health. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor