Can cold and cough be transmitted from an infected person to other?

Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

Pulmonologist

Posted on Thu, 2 Aug 2018 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: Yes Thank you.
10 days ago I stayed with my 95 year old mother for 3 day’s. I left when I knew for sure l had a cold, congestion and cough. My cold, cough, and congestion grew bad the next days.This is still with me but better. Yesterday my mother, 95,began a cough, today a cold.
Am I the cause? I am worried, so worried I may cause her death over this. she stays In bed. She is frail, does not walk much due to off balance. She is blind in one eye. She is quiet we alllove her dearly.
What can I do to help her? Did I cause this by not getting away soon enough? Will she gmet pneumonia? She can’t take antibiotics.
What can I do? I ordered the question for $15.00please. Thank you.
YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, you might have spread viral infection to her.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question on Healthcare Magic.
I can understand your concern.
Viral respiratory tract infection is the most common cause for cough and cold.
And it spread by coughing, sneezing, talking etc.
So family members are more prone for such infections if someone in the family got it.
So it is quite possible that you have spread viral infection to your mother which gives her symptoms now.
So if you left her early she might not get this infection.
But no need to panic about your mother regarding this viral infection.
These infections are usually self limiting in 1 week time.
We need to maintain hydration, take antihistamine (levocetrizine or fexofenadine) and anti inflammatory (paracetamol) drugs and take proper rest.
But in old age this can complicate to pneumonia. So if her condition deteriorate in 1 week then take her to hospital and get done chest x ray to rule out pneumonia.
So tell her to drink plenty of fluids orally, do warm water gargles 5-6 times a day and take combination of levocetrizine (claritin)and Tylenol.
Don't worry, she will be alright with all these in 1 week.
Hope I have solved your query. I will be happy to help you further. Wishing good health to your mother. Thanks.