question-icon

Can cod liver oil supplements be taken for avascular necrosis?

Posted on Sat, 26 Nov 2016
Question: i want to know about the utility and role of cod lever oil tablets and blood thinner pills like aspirin in the treatment of avn.
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu (48 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Aspirin prevents AVN severity progression. Cod liver oil not known

Detailed Answer:
Hi there.

According to the literature, studies show that Aspirin has got nearly 27% chance of preventing progression of low grade AVN to higher grade. This is quite significantly positive.

Regarding cod liver oil, not many reputed studies have been done to comment on its effect on AVN. Though some study claims it could increase risk of AVN due to its viscous nature.

I hope I have answered your query.

I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Dr. Aashish Raghu
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Aashish Raghu

Orthopaedic Surgeon