Can cocaine cause heart palpitations?

Dr. Chobufo Ditah

Posted on Mon, 12 Sep 2016 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Question: Hi, my friend has taken alot of cocaine last night. He stopped at 5am has been suffering from high heart rate, 110+bpm, since 8am. his hands and feet are slightly cold and he hasn't slept since the night before. Will he be alright to ride it out or will it get worse? Thank you for any assistance you can offer it is 10.40am
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Let him go to the ER!

Detailed Answer:
HI and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about what your friend experienced. This is bad and can lead to heart attack. I will suggest that you take him to the ER for immediate evaluation and management. If the heart continues working that much, the risk of a possible hear attack is huge and that can be fatal.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be.
Follow up: Dr. Chobufo Ditah 11 minutes later
Thank for your reply. I have told him to go and he wants to try and ride it out, as he feels ok just high hart beat and cold ands and feet. His heart rate has slowed to and avg of 98bpm now. Is this signs of it waring off? Is it possible to ride it out?

Thank you so much
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Good sign with decreasing heart rate!

Detailed Answer:

That's a promising sign. Please, cocaine kills and your friend should really not be gambling with his life. I will like to chat with him when he's recovered.

I wish you both well and talk to you later.
Follow up: Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Thank you.
Is there a safe bpm zone he should be targeting?
He has had an hours sleep and his hands and feet are now warm again. But his heart beat is around still 100bpm. It is now 1.45pm
Thank you
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 26 hours later
Brief Answer:
80 is ideal!

Detailed Answer:

80 is ideal. With this trend and time lapse, he has certainly escaped from any serious acute damages form cocaine ingestion. He must avoid taking such risk in future. It is not worth it. Besides, if you do drugs, i have a single word for you: QUIT.

I wish you well.